Thursday, September 18, 2008

This Week It Is An Oscar Winner: Ken Perlin To Speak at FuturePlay 2008

In last week's Keynote Speaker Profile (I have made a command decision to capitalize that...) I talked about Don Daglow, well, this week I thought I would mention another luminary coming to FuturePlay 2008. Ken Perlin.

Ken Perlin is a professor in the Department of Computer Science at New York University.He is the founding director of the Media Research Laboratory and also directed the NYU Center for Advanced Technology. Ken's research interests include graphics, animation, user interfaces, science education and multimedia. OK, now this is pretty cool, he received an Academy Award for Technical Achievement from the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences (that is an Oscar for those of you scoring at home...) for his noise and turbulence procedural texturing techniques, which are widely used in feature films and television, as well as the TrapCode award for achievement in computer graphics research, the New York City Mayor's award for excellence in Science and Technology and the Sokol award for outstanding Science faculty at NYU, and a Presidential Young Investigator Award from the National Science Foundation.

He spoke at FuturePlay 2006 where he showed some software that models emotions and then maps them on to faces. This technology has been used to help teach autistic kids how to read emotion. (Take that Jack Thompson).

Oh yeah, he has also been a featured artist at the Whitney Museum of American Art.

I can tell you as well that he is a great speaker, and frankly he is funny as hell too. You do not want to miss ths

2 comments:

Jack Thompson said...

Tkae that, Jack Thompson?

What, are you autistic yourself?

I did a national interview this week in which I stated that video games are the most powerful teaching tool ever created by man.

But technology is neutral. You can incinerate or electrify an entire city with nuclear fission. It depends on how you choose to use it.

Do you think kids, autistic or not, should be able to buy GTA IV? If not, then send me your thank you and an apology, because that is the vineyard in which I have been laboring.

Take that, yourself.

Jack Thompson

Dave Brodbeck said...

No I am not autistic, oddly enough my son is though, and he plays a number of games. Indeed, he can beat me at Halo multiplayer, much to my chagrin...